5.13.2012

dining table chairs


Not too long ago I purchased some knock-off Eames shell dining chairs for my dining table. The price compared to Herman Miller retail was laughable... so after a little price comparison online and a few clicks I found myself owner of some genuine, made in China (?) Eames shell replica's. Yee-haw?

Once they arrived I just had to attach the legs to the shell. They went together easily with plenty of tolerance given for screw alignment. They seem to be holding up so far, but will they stand the test of time?

UPDATE:
Not so much. Only a few months into owning them, the screws that attach the base to the chair are coming loose. That didn't take long. Hopefully this isn't the case with all knockoff's. For many most people out there, buying new licensed (or even some non-licensed) reproductions is not a viable option.

As much as I'd like to buy original, the price seems a bit over inflated for me. Not to mention having to choose molded plastic over the previous fiberglass models hurts a little. Most of this stuff was designed with intentions of being stylish and affordable for the middle-class mid-century family, yet the current prices don't always seem to reflect that. The best option for me (and most others) is to keep an eye on Craigslist, Estate sales, antique shops, etc. for vintage finds. In many cases, the quality is better than current reproductions. Even if you need to put a little elbow grease into it to get it looking good again.

No comments:

Post a Comment